You’ll Want to Twist and Shout When You Try These Yummy 7-Ingredient Vegan Soft Pretzels
Here we are with another recipe brought to you by my house’s Baking Jar! My plan was to make this into a video like my Vegan Pizza video, but I really wasn’t feeling being in front of the camera that day. What I wanted to do was get my roommates involved and teach them how to make these delicious soft pretzels from scratch! And of course, learn the famous pretzel twist. (Fun story, the first time I ever made a soft pretzel was from my Easy Bake Oven — they didn’t taste great and were more complicated than these ones, but I thought that discovering how to twist the pretzel was magical and very cool.)
I prepared the dough first (a solo operation), then gathered up everyone and created some workstations at our dining table. Each person shaped 2 pretzels while I ran the baking soda bath. Then, they topped their own soft pretzels with coarse salt before I took them back to the kitchen to bake.
What resulted was a super fun roommate bonding experience, super tasty homemade soft pretzels, and a recipe for the books. If you ever crave mall pretzels, this one’s for you. These are much better (and softer), not greasy, and easily customizable! With just 7 ingredients (not including water), this recipe is perfect for some last minute baking.
7-Ingredient Soft Pretzels Recipe
Simple 7-Ingredient Soft Pretzels
- 4 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup baking soda
- 10 cups boiling water
- coarse salt for topping
- Melt the butter and mix in sugar and salt
- Combine yeast with warm water and let sit for 1 min. Add to butter mixture
- Slowly add 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing until a thick dough forms
- Knead for ~3 min. and shape into a ball. Cover & rest for 10 min
- Prep baking soda bath: add the baking soda to 10 cups of water and let boil
- Preheat oven to 400º F. & line baking sheets with greased parchment paper
- Cut the dough into 12 even sections. Roll each section into a rope, about 12-14 inches long
- Take the ends in each hand, cross your arms one over the other & without letting go of the dough, place the shape on a floured surface
- Pulling each end of the rope, uncross your hands and cross the sections of dough over itself to create the pretzel shape. Press the ends of the rope into the dough so it sticks
- In the baking soda bath, add 1-2 pretzels at a time for about 20 seconds
- Sprinkle each pretzel with salt and bake for 13-15 min
- For bigger soft pretzels, only separate the dough into 6 sections. Roll a rope twice as long and enjoy your larger pretzels!
- I just did basic salt and melted chocolate for one dip and got some spicy brown mustard for the other, but these would be so good with different flavors! Cinnamon sugar, cheesy jalapeño, chocolate. And you can always make homemade sauces or buy some at the store, but these were so tasty plain.