You’ll Be in Love With This Quick 4-Ingredient Dessert
When I got a request to make Rice Krispie Treats, I was seriously so excited. Plain ol’ Rice Krispie Treats are super good, of course, but me being me, I had to be a little extra with it. As a kid, cookies & cream was my go-to ice cream flavor. Even now, if basically anything is cookies & cream, I’m SOLD. I’ve been tempted to make a cookies & cream version of my Pecan Samoa Bars! So naturally, I knew I had to combine my fave childhood sweets to make one ultimate Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
Thus, the Cookies & Cream Rice Krispie Treats were born! Obviously, I’m not the first one to combine the two sweets. But considering that Oreos are already vegan, I had the opportunity to show just how possible it is to make vegan Rice Krispie Treats.
The basic ingredients are the same: Oreos, crispy rice cereal, butter, and marshmallows. For a traditional taste, vegan butter is the way to go. Earth Balance Butter Sticks are my fave, but go with whatever brand you like (I know there are way more available now)! If you want to shake it up a bit, just swap the butter with coconut oil — it doesn’t make a huge difference but you’ll definitely notice a hint of coconut.
Now, the marshmallows. Many people I talk to that aren’t vegan don’t know that regular marshmallows are made with gelatin. I haven’t even attempted to make my own marshmallows (yet), but Dandies vegan marshmallows are my absolute favorite. If I had tried them before going vegan, they’d 100% still replace regular marshmallows in my kitchen! They’re vanilla-flavored, and don’t leave that chalky, cloying flavor in your mouth.
You just melt those two ingredients down — it acts the same as normal in the pot. But instead of adding a ton of cereal, you’re going to add the 4 cups of cereal plus about 1 cup of crushed Oreos! I like to keep the cream in these for more flavor, but you can scrape them out if you want. All of these ingredients mix really well, it doesn’t take long whatsoever, and it tastes amazing.
With just 4 ingredients, no oven, and a craving for childhood favorite summertime treats, you can enjoy vegan Cookies & Cream Rice Krispie Treats. After making these, I wished I could keep the whole thing to myself — they’re seriously THAT good. So if you’ve been itching for a homemade dessert but don’t want to use the oven, get on these and you’ll thank me later.
Cookies & Cream Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Cookies & Cream Rice Krispie Treats
- 9-12 Oreos lightly crushed
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 10 oz vegan marshmallows regular sized
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- In a large pot on medium heat, melt the butter
- Pour in the marshmallows and stir until fully melted and sticky
- Add the cereal and crushed Oreos
- Turn the heat off and mix quickly until all ingredients are fully incorporated
- In a lined and greased 8×8 pan, press the mixture in evenly and tightly
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes and cut into squares. Enjoy!
- You don’t want to crush the Oreos too finely — you want some good chunks in there and it’ll continue to get more crushed when you mix it into the marshmallow. Just quickly break up the cookies in a bag with your hands until there are no super large chunks!
- My favorite vegan marshmallow is Dandies, which I get for all things marshmallow-related. Opt for the regular sized ones – I find them easier to melt together than the small ones for some reason. But you can use any brand you prefer!
- If you have the time and want to make these really indulgent, you can melt some dark chocolate to drizzle on top, or go crazy and make a dark chocolate peanut butter ganache to layer on.